The Lymphatic System
The lymphatic system is an intricate filtration system made up of a vast network of vessels, capillaries, nodes and a clear fluid known as lymph (collected from the spaces between tissues). This dynamic circulation system extends throughout the body and helps to maintain fluid balance by draining away any excess. When the flow of fluid gets stagnant, it can cause degeneration of cells, which later contributes to illness. The efficient movement of lymph fluid around the body allows for healthy hydration and promotes healing.
Together with specialised organs such as the tonsils, thymus gland and spleen, the lymphatic system is an essential part of the body’s natural defence, continuously clearing away cellular waste and toxic build-up to protect us against disease and infection. As lymph circulates around the body and through the lymph nodes, it bathes tissues with lymphocytes (white blood cells) to attack pathogens and harmful substances before returning to the bloodstream.
The lymphatic system also plays a role in lipid metabolism; transporting and processing undigested fats and proteins that haven’t been absorbed from the digestive system.
Veltheim Method of Lymphatic Drainage
Lymphatic drainage supports the immune system and is highly effective in addressing congestion of fluid, toxins, noxious microbes and emotions. The Veltheim Method of Lymphatic Drainage (VMLD) is based on a unique visualization/kinesthetic technique that defies the conventional medicine understanding of the lymphatic system and takes an approach that combines both western and eastern perspectives.
Having a VMLD treatment can:
- Improve the functioning of the immune system
- Balance the fluid in the blood
- Restore hydration of the skin
- Encourage tissue regeneration
- Reduce puffy eyes and under-eye bags
- Remove harmful substances from an area (particularly molecules of emotions, as well as pain inducing chemicals and hormones that are stagnant in the breast tissue or around various organs, such as the ovaries or the prostate)
- Alleviate swollen feet, ankles and legs during pregnancy
- Reduce cellulite
- Relieve sinus congestion, colds and allergies
- Promote healing of fractures, torn ligaments and sprains
- Relieve stress (as the treatment is very relaxing)
- Reduce chronic edema and acute swelling around an injured site
Noticeable, and often dramatic, changes can be observed following a lymphatic drainage treatment. The Veltheim Method of Lymphatic Drainage can be applied as a stand-alone therapy, be built into a BodyTalk session or as a beneficial addition to any detox program.